Country Roads of Bavaria Switzerland and Austria with Oberammergau (Preview 2020)
Brochure Type: Europe Preview 2020
Surprisingly, the vineyards, gabled shop fronts and opulent palaces play second fiddle to the scenery. Experience the magical, unrivalled beauty of the Alpine world, on-board the enthralling Glacier Express. Photo: Oberammergau Passion Play 2020
ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
- Munich: See the Marienplatz, Town Hall and Glockenspiel.
- Vienna: Tour the Ring Road seeing the City Hall and Parliament.
- Kindlberg: See the colourful maypole.
- St Veit an der Glan: See the Plague Column and Rathaus.
- Innsbruck: See the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace.
- St Moritz: See the spa quarter and 'sgraffito' facade on the museum house.
- Lucerne: See the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Scenic drives: Bavarian Alps, German Alpine Road, Semmering Pass, the Dolomites, Engadine Valley, Grison Alps.
- Stanserhorn: A spectacular journey by cable car and cogwheel railway takes you to the summit for expansive mountain views over Lake Lucerne for your special Celebration Dinner. Fill your glasses with wine and toast to newfound friends.
- Vienna: For your dining pleasure, you are offered a selection of Vienna's vibrant restaurants. With drinks, a delicious 3-course dinner and Gemutlichkeit in abundance, your Dine-Around Evening is a culinary experience not to be missed.
- Included Quality Dining:: 10 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 6 Dinners (D) with wine (DW).
- Oberammergau: Dine in a local restaurant amid the buzz of excitement from Passion Play goers and enjoy local hospitality before the second half commences.
- Neuschwanstein: A Local Expert leads you through fanciful rooms fashioned by medieval legend. Take in the amazing views over valleys and verdant mountains.
- Vienna: A private, guided exploration of Schonbrunn Palace will have all your senses tingling. Stand beneath frescoed ceilings, crystal chandeliers and gilded Rococo frames where Mozart performed as a child prodigy.
- St Moritz: The elegant Crystal Hotel is located close to shops in the town centre, where all the prestigious names from Chanel and Gucci to Louis Vuitton are lined up together.
- Lucerne: The century-old City Palais in the heart of Lucerne has been masterfully restored. Behind the historical facade lies this distinctive first-class luxury Renaissance Hotel.
- Salzburg: See the Mirabell Gardens, Mozart's birthplace on the Getreidegasse and visit the Cathedral in the Old Town with a Local Expert.
- Glacier Express: Journey through the heart of the Swiss Alps aboard the world-famous Glacier Express. Once settled into your modern panoramic viewing car, sit back, spellbound as Mother Nature unveils a scenic symphony of epic grandeur.
- Oberammergau: Experience the spectacular Passion Play that has made this town famous. Watch from your premium seat as local villagers perform as they have since 1634 in this once in a decade event. An emotive and critically acclaimed performance depicting Christ's last days, this is an event not to be missed.
- Our highly-skilled Insight Tour Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend in a foreign land
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat touring coach, with extended Business Class legroom and on-board restroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included; you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- Plus, we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish - a local tidbit representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination
- Complimentary transfers from Munich Airport and to Zurich Airport are available at scheduled times only on arrival and departure days
- Should your flights not coincide with these transfers, or additional accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations, charged transfers are available
- Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (765) 284-6316 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13866931
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2018
- 12 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (not included).|
|Day 2||Munich||Welcome to Fun-Loving Munich.: Airport transfers leave Munich Airport for your hotel at 10:00 and 13:00. Join your Tour Director at 15:00 for an orientation. See the Feldherrnhalle in the Odeonsplatz, the Palace of the Dukes of Wittelsbach, the English Garden, the Hofbrauhaus, St Peter's Church and the famous Marienplatz. Afterwards, enjoy a Welcome Reception with the opportunity to mingle over a pleasant evening of dinner and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 3||Marienplatz||Jewels of the Bavarian Alps.: Embark on an exciting visit to Neuschwanstein Castle, built as a retreat for the wildly eccentric King Ludwig II, bristling with turrets and pinnacles. See the exuberantly-decorated apartments including the Throne Room and Lohengrin Grotto. The rest of the day is free for you to explore Bavaria's capital city. Perhaps visit one of its many art galleries and museums, or relax and enjoy a coffee in the delightful Marienplatz? (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 4||Vienna||The City of Mozart and on to Vienna.: A short drive over the Austrian border leads to Salzburg, 'alive with the sound of music'. Sightseeing with a Local Expert will reveal the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace, the imposing fortress, the cathedral in the Old Town and Mozart's birthplace. After lunch, head for the Austrian capital of Vienna. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 5||Vienna||Vienna and the Habsburgs.: In the morning, a Local Expert will reveal the highlights of Schonbrunn Palace, full of frescoed ceilings, crystal chandeliers, mirrors and gilded ornaments. Spend some time in the formal gardens before going on to view St Charles' Church, the Hofburg Palace, Parliament and State Opera House. The afternoon is all yours to explore the city at your leisure. For your Dine-Around Evening experience, choose from a fantastic selection of restaurants. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 6||Villach||Sleepy Austrian Byways to Villach.: Take a delightful drive through undiscovered Austria. Climb the dramatic Semmering Pass and stop in Kindberg with its colourful maypole. Continue south to the border to arrive in Villach, a town rich in contrasts as tradition blends with trendiness, historically a gateway between the Alps and southern Austria, with a touch of la dolce vita influenced by neighbouring Italy. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 7||Oberammergau||Pass the Dolomites to Innsbruck and Oberammergau.: Pass the magnificent Dolomites as your journey continues through the High Alps to arrive at mountain-ringed Innsbruck. An orientation of Innsbruck shows you the 14th century houses of the old town, the impressive Imperial Palace and the delightful Golden Roof. Then continue north to Oberammergau, situated in the heart of the Bavarian Alps and home of the Passion Play since 1634. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 8||Oberammergau||The Passion Play.: (Relaxed Start) After a morning at leisure in charming Oberammergau, take your premium reserved seats to witness the world famous Passion Play, re-enacting the last days of Christ on earth. After a break for dinner in a local restaurant, the captivating performance continues into the evening. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 9||Swiss Alps||Through the Alps to Switzerland.: (Relaxed Start) Continue to Switzerland, driving along the beautiful Engadine Valley and on to the chic Alpine resort of St Moritz. Enjoy the marvellous scenery and fresh air or browse in the elegant boutiques. Another option is a ride on-board the Bernina Express. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 10||Lucerne||All aboard the Glacier Express and on to Lucerne.: An unforgettable journey allows ice-capped mountains, stone-built villages and lush meadows to slip by the windows of your Glacier Express train. Ascend through the spiral tunnels of the Albula Pass and cross the Landwasser Viaduct before heading down through the Oberalp Valley to rejoin the coach at Andermatt. Continue north to lovely Lucerne, one of Europe's most popular cities. Join your Tour Director to see the sorrowful sculpture of the dying lion, cut out of a limestone cliff to commemorate those Swiss Guards who died at the Battle of the Tuileries. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 11||Stanserhorn||Dinner at the 'Roof of Europe' in Stanserhorn.: (Relaxed Start) The morning is at leisure in this beautiful city with its 14th century covered wooden bridges, painted gables, old walls and watch towers of the medieval fortifications. Stroll across the Chapel Bridge to the Jesuit Church, or use your free time to shop. Later, head to the town of Stans, to embark on a scenic journey by funicular railway and cable car, to the summit of the stunning Stanserhorn. On a clear day there are views as far as Alsace and the Black Forest in Germany. Here, amid true Alpine majesty, your amazing journey literally peaks with a fabulous farewell Celebration Dinner in a panoramic restaurant. This will be a fantastic bird's-eye wining and dining experience you'll never forget! (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 12||Zurich||Leaving Zurich.: Your departure transfer arrives at Zurich Airport at 08:00. Please do not schedule any flights before 10:00. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Insight has secured hotel accommodation either in Oberammergau or close by in the picturesque villages of the Bavarian Alps. Single and Triple rooms are not available at Oberammergau. Those who select these booking types will be matched with a traveller of the same gender in a twin room for the duration of the Oberammergau stay. Insight's Great Savings and Discounts do not apply to Oberammergau packages.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class