Amazing Spain and Portugal (Winter 2018-19)
Brochure Type: Europe Winter 2018/19
Delve beneath the surface of these two amazing countries. Sample their signature dishes, share in their culture and marvel the legacy of their rich sea-faring history.
Additional Included Highlights
- Madrid: Travel along the Gran Via and through the Puerta del Sol, seeing the Royal Palace and famous Cibeles Fountain.
- Salamanca: See the building made of golden stone, the arcades of Plaza Mayor and the ancient Puente Romano.
- Scenic Drives: River Tagus, La Mancha, Andalucia, River Tormes, Castile
- Madrid: Travel along the Paseo de la Castellana and see the Cibeles Fountain, down the Gran Via to see the Royal Palace and the monument to Cervantes in the Plaza de Espana, before crossing the Puerta del Sol.
- Seville: Your Local Expert guides you through the streets of the Santa Cruz Quarter to the Alcazar. See the Giralda Tower and step inside the cathedral, passing the altarpiece dripping with gold to the Tomb of Columbus, held aloft by four kings.
- Lisbon: Explore with your Local Expert, from the Lower Town, beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco. Visit the Belem Quarter to see the Monument to the Discoveries and the ancient Belem Tower.
- Lisbon: Visit Jeronimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal's trade over the centuries and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Fatima: Join the faithful at one of the world's holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions.
- Salamanca: See the golden stone buildings and handsome arcades of Plaza Mayor for which this city is famous for.
- Avila: Walk within the ancient walls of this unique town.
- Madrid: Explore the old town with your Local Expert.
- Scenic Drives: Relax and enjoy the views as you travel along the River Tagus, through the regions of La Mancha and Andalucia, past the River Tormes and through the Castile region.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (765) 284-6316 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14019559
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 9/30/2018
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (please ask about our great deals).|
|Day 2||Madrid||Welcome to Madrid.: Your airport transfer departs Madrid airport for your hotel at 09:00, 11:00, 13:30 or 16:00. The rest of the day is at leisure to begin to get to know this stylish city. During your time in Madrid you will travel along the Gran Via and through the Puerta del Sol, seeing the Royal Palace and famous Cibeles Fountain. At 18:00, join your Travel Director for your Welcome Dinner at a local restaurant and enjoy the opportunity to get to know your fellow travellers over a delightful evening of good food and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Miguel Angel by BlueBay, Madrid.
|Day 3||Granada||The old Capital of Toledo and on to Granada.: Venture south to meet a master craftsperson in a Damascene workshop for a personal insight into this ancient craft handed down by the Moors centuries ago. Continue to the fascinating city of Toledo, situated high above the River Tagus. This was Spain's capital during the golden era, where Arab, Jewish and Christian cultures flourished side-by-side through the Middle Ages. Walk within the city walls, through the narrow cobbled streets, led by your Local Expert. Visit the Church of Santo Tome, housing El Greco's famous painting, 'The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.' Your journey continues to Granada. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Vincci Albayzin, Granada.
|Day 4||Seville||The Alhambra Palace and Seville, City of Carmen.: 'There is no pain in life so cruel as to be blind in Granada', cries the inscription on the walls of the Alhambra. Bathed in morning light, the Alhambra Palace awaits - a fantasy of arabesque gardens, fountains and stone cut like lace. Explore with your Local Expert and also visit the exotic water gardens of the Generalife, the royal summer residence. Take a moment to relax in the sunshine as you enjoy the fine views over the town and its three verdant hills. Embark on a scenic drive to Seville where a Local Expert will guide you through the maze of narrow lanes and shady squares of the Santa Cruz Quarter. Emerge by the huge walls of the fabulous Alcazar to see La Giralda, the former minaret of the Great Mosque, but now the cathedral bell tower. Enter the immense 15th century cathedral, the final resting place of Christopher Columbus and see his tomb enriched with the spoils of the New World. During a highlight evening enjoy the flavours of Andalucia and share the passion of Spain's most fiery region as you experience a flamenco show. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Ayre Hotel Sevilla (Executive Rooms), Seville.
|Day 5||Seville||Free Time in Seville.: (Relaxed Start) This is a free day, so take your time to bask in the city's romantic aura and explore as you wish. You may like to join an Optional Experience to Cordoba and visit the magnificent Mezquita, an 8th century mosque with a Christian cathedral built inside it. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Ayre Hotel Sevilla (Executive Rooms), Seville.
|Day 6||Lisbon||The plains of the Alentejo to Lisbon.: (Relaxed Start) Pass through the oak forests where black Iberian pigs are bred for the famous Spanish hams. Stop in Jabugo for an insight into the history and curing process of Jamon Iberico. The subtle differences will be revealed with a delicious tasting. Then venture across the wide Alentejo Plateau to Lisbon. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Turim Saldanha Hotel Lisbon.
|Day 7||Lisbon||Lisbon and the Age of the Discoveries.: During your stay, a guided orientation of the city with your Local Expert takes you along the avenues of the Lower Town and beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco, the finest square in the city. Visit the Belem Quarter from where sailing ships one set forth to discover unknown lands. See the traditional patisserie that has managed to hold on to the secret recipe of Portugal's finest pastry for almost 200 years and enjoy a taste of the famous Pasteis de Belem. View the Monument to the Discoveries and the more ancient Belem Tower. This fortress was originally set in the middle of the river, but is now left high and dry on the riverbank. Visit the 500-year-old Jeronimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. With the afternoon at your leisure, perhaps join an Optional Experience to the beautiful town of Sintra which was the summer residence of the Kings of Portugal? (Buffet Breakfast)|
Turim Saldanha Hotel Lisbon.
|Day 8||Salamanca||Holy Fatima and Golden Salamanca.: Travel into the green hills north of Lisbon to visit Fatima, the most celebrated place of pilgrimage in Portugal. Visit the Basilica commemorating the appearance of the Virgin Mary to three children in 1917. Cross the border, returning to Spain and continue to Salamanca, famous for its golden stone buildings and the handsome arcades of the Plaza Mayor. Across the River Tormes, see the Puente Romano with 15 of its 26 arches dating from the time of the ancient Romans. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Hotel Alameda Palace, Salamanca.
|Day 9||Madrid||Old Castile, to St. Teresa of Avila and on to Madrid.: Cross the rock-strewn hills of the Castile, to arrive at Avila. Walk within the ancient city that is still entirely enclosed within 11th century walls, a unique occurrence in Europe. Return to Madrid to explore the old town with your Local Expert. At a local restaurant, join your Travel Director and newfound friends for a a lively Celebration Dinner. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 10||Madrid||Depart Madrid.: After breakfast, your transfer to Madrid airport arrives at 07:00, 09:00 or 11:00. (Buffet Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. Solo Traveller Savings: There is a 50% reduction to the Single Supplement on 2 & 30 Nov, 4 & 25 Jan, 01 Mar. Festive Highlight Dinners: 19 Dec Christmas Day in Lisbon. 26 Dec New Year's Eve in Lisbon.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class